Monday, May 28, 2012

My 10 Days in Africa

It's so hard for me to put into words what i got out of this experience. For the first time in my life, i felt truly needed somewhere. All the children wore giant smiles on their faces at the sight of any "two-bob", beause they could sense our hearts were in the right place. Everytime another person asks how my trip was, i say "amazing", only because i cannot find another word powerful enough to express my gratitude toward Momodou and Nyillan Fye, all the teachers at Sajuka Primary School, and of course, the students.
Every morning we were in the Barra Village, we would wake up at 6:30 am, have breakfast at 7 and prepare ourselves for when school started at 8:30. I was amazed to find that every single morning, a dedicated group of students was waiting outside the gates to Sajuka, eagerly awaiting their education, because in Barra that is a luxury, not a right.
After only 3 days in Barra, i found myself emotionally attached to several of the students i met at the school. It was so incredibly hard to have to say goodbye to them, which is something i had anticipated but was not at all prepared for. I am not one to openly cry in front of others. My own roomate has only seen me cry once. But when i saw the look on the faces of those children as they sang the goodbye song to us, i wept like no one was watching, because i knew that their hearts ached just as much as ours to have to say farewell.
This trip, and those children, have forever changed the course of my life. As a rising senior set to graduate next spring, I, like many others, wasn't exactly sure where my life was headed in terms of career or further schooling. Now, i am sure what i want to do with my life. I want to continue helping children like this, who do not have the resources to help themselves. It's not about giving them what they need, it's about showing them they have the power to do it themselves. I am seriously considering Peace Corps as a path for my future, where i will be able to give back to so many others who need my help.
This is not to say that i will forget Sajuka school and Barra Village, that would never be possible. You cannot see the things ive seen and hear the stories ive heard and not want to continue helping. As long as I am able, i will always give back to this village and the school in any way i can. I truly hope to be given the privelege of returning to Barra Village, so i can show these children that someone out there does care enough to come back.

No comments:

Post a Comment