Tuesday, May 29, 2012


It is amazing to think that a few short days can change your thought process, how you view and treat others, and how you love. Going to the Barra Village has done this. I have taken a few days to reflect on this amazing experience and there are not words that have the ability to capture the awe-inspiring thing that we all just experienced. The trip to Gambia changed me in many ways. One being, that I know what I want to do as a career; which is to help people that are in need, and to work with others like the women that I worked with in the Skills Center. The women in the center all wanted to read, write, and continue their own learning --many times even after class was finished. Most of the women in the center had some education, but may have only been up to grade school, and others none at all, but each has the desire to learn, and grab at the chance they have been given. The trip has also reduced my stress about simple things that in the end really do not matter.  The people in the village do not have much in way of material goods, but it does not matter; they will give and give and continue to give because as I was told many times we are all under "one umbrella/one family." I truly believe this now.  The people that I met will always be in my thoughts as well as my heart. I am definately going to return to the village. Barra is where you can find kind hearts, open arms, and the restoration of one's soul.
--Jessica Radcliff

No comments:

Post a Comment