Tuesday, May 29, 2012


Its so had to express what I took from this amazing experience. It has changed my life in multiple ways, In four short days in Barra village I have learned more from the children and teachers at Sajuka School then I could have ever taught them. I know now that the little things I stress in life have no comparison to the lives in Barra Gambia. They have many struggles they deal with on a daily basis but a smile still remains on their faces. I have learned to appreciate everything in life so much more because i saw despair but most importantly I saw hope. The teachers and children at Sajuka School were some of the most amazing people I have ever meet, they have the biggest hearts, and they may not know it but they are so inspirational. They welcomed our group with open arms and made us part of the Sajuka family. I not only learned so much from our journey but I have also gained a new family. After spending a short time with them I feel in love, I was the happiest I have ever been In my life. I have made long life friends that will forever be in my heart. It was so hard to leave the school and the wonderful people, but each day I think about them. I may have physical left Barra Village and the school but a part of me still remains it would be impossible to forget this amazing experience and I'm so grateful that I had the opportunity to be a part of this journey.
There is no way that I will not return to Sajuka School, my heart is there. I want to return soon to see the progress made at Sajuka and I hope to see if the teachers will implement our lesson plans. I would love to see the teachers using the materials we brought them, and raise money to get them more materials. Also something that struck me was that the teachers hadn't been paid for two months but still remain to go to school and help further the education of the children. That shows how amazing these teachers are, but I hope when I return to see that change and to she the progress of the school. 
I want to thank Momodou, Nyillan Fye, Dr. Jarvis, and the people of Sajuka School for giving me this opportunity. I would also thank all of the amazing women that made this journey with me, we hardly new each other before we left and now I have long life friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment