Monday, May 28, 2012

Monday, May 28, 2012
     
      My days in the Barra Village have changed my life drastically. Before arriving in Barra, I was not sure what to expect. I was both nervous and excited. Being apart of the Child Literacy team, I could not wait to teach these young children how to read and share my knowledge with them. Our class conducted research on Gambia, but even that did not prepare me for what I had experienced. I was concerned about not having enough time to implement our plans. From the moment I stepped off of the bus and was greeted by smiling children singing and dancing, I felt at home. The warmth and love from the Barra residents was so pure and genuine, something that I've never encountered in the U.S. I never imagined creating a strong bond with anyone, let alone an entire village, in only 4 short days. I was the happiest I had ever been in my whole life. I used to be the biggest worrier about my issues in America. While in Africa, none of that mattered or existed because my American life was not as problematic as I once believed. It was I who ended up learning from Barra. The children and staff have taught me that when you surround yourself with good people with good hearts, you will experience self-fulfillment.
       Do I plan to return? Absolutely! No question about it! I'll be back next May (maybe in January as well). I have big plans for my future trips to the Gambia and for assisting the Sajuka School.
        Special thank you to Dr. Jarvis, Nyillan, the Sajuka School staff and students, and to my beautiful and sensational classmates; Jessica, Amanda, Tenzin, Sarah, Courtney, Brittany, Ziana, Maddie, Destiny, Alanna, Jessi, and Beatriz! We are all family now! I look forward to continuing our journey together!


-VaNessa Pharms

No comments:

Post a Comment