Saturday, May 26, 2012

      As I sat down at my computer in an attempt to put into a short paragraph what merits numerous pages of thoughts and memories, I thought about the question of what exactly makes something life changing?
Is it when something has effected your being and mind so much that you change your lifestyle? When the lenses of how you see the world become clearer and more vibrant? When you have spent three to four days with someone whom you have never met before and the parting is so heartbreaking that crying is inevitable? When four and five year olds show you what unconditional love is, and then teach you something about yourself which you never knew before? When children and teachers who have nothing give you everything and any compensation in return seems inadequate? This is how the BPC Gambia trip has changed me, it has become an indescribable adventure...one which I hope to relive many more times in the years to come.The intangible memories have become more precious to me than any material gain or personal benefits, and that to me is truly life changing.
     Returning is not even a question in my mind, when you have made someplace your home, you have to return because the people you love are there. I cannot say how thankful I am that I was given this rare opportunity to travel with this amazing team of girls and Dr. Jarvis. We left barely knowing each other and returned home not knowing what to do without each other. I look forward to seeing the children of Sajuka school very soon and know that every lesson and challenge will be vibrantly new, and every laugh, and smiling face sorely missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment